Welcome to the Canadian Student Leadership Track (CSLT) at Urbana 15. We are so glad that you’ll be with us and 300 other Canadian students in just over a month!
You will receive emails from CSLT every couple of weeks between now and Urbana. Look for program updates, information, and some tips for getting the most out of Urbana – both spiritually and practically.
You’ll be with CSLT 3 times a day most days at Urbana:
- In the morning for manuscript study.
- In the afternoon for a seminar with excellent speakers from across Canada and beyond.
- In the evening for prayer with your small group.
Sometimes people get worried about whether they’ll have enough time to experience the rest of Urbana – you will! When we meet as a track for manuscript study and prayer, the rest of Urbana is doing the same thing somewhere else. Each day, you’ll also have a second seminar block that is yours to fill however you want. The track life is the best of both worlds!
Since this is a residential track, we have already booked your hotel room for you at the Marriot Grand. We did our best to accommodate roommate requests wherever possible. You’ll receive a confirmation number for your hotel on November 24. If you’d booked a room on your own, please cancel that reservation ASAP.
Invite Your Friends
There is still room for people to join CSLT, so keep inviting your friends! The one difference is that the track housing is closed now so anyone who registers after November 15 must book their own hotel. Don’t let that stop you from inviting – a walk never hurt anyone!
- CSLT is about taking first steps into mission and God wants to talk to you! Get the most out of your time by praying over the coming weeks and asking God to clarify the questions you have for him. Bring those with you to CSLT.
- Don’t forget that your Canadian cell phones will rack up HUGE roaming charges in the States. Ask your cell phone provider about adding at least a texting plan so that you can stay in touch while you’re on site.
Looking forward to seeing you in December, friends!
The time is coming quickly when we’ll be together for Urbana 15 and the Canadian Student Leadership Track (CSLT). Here’s a bit more information to help you prepare.
What to pack
- You’ll need all the normal stuff like your Bible, journal and pens, clean clothes, and toiletries.
- You’ll need a passport, travel insurance, and a cell phone plan for the U.S.
- You do not need towels or a hair dryer. The amazing hotel already has those!
Where to go
- When you arrive, go to the Marriott St. Louis Grand Hotel, check in at the front desk, and drop your luggage in your room. Please do not bring luggage to the America’s Center.
- Head to Hall 5 of the America’s Center (701 Convention Plaza) to check in for Urbana. There will be lots of people onsite to help you find your way.
- Our track meets in the Landmark Ballroom in the Marriot. There will be lots of signs for the CSLT. The first time you need to be in the Landmark Ballroom is for Bible study on the morning of December 28.
- You should have received and housing email confirmation earlier this week from the Urbana Housing Bureau. If you didn’t receive this or have questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note, if you registered after November 14, please make sure you reserve your own hotel room through Your Account).
Afternoon seminars are the time when we get to hear from excellent and inspirational people who are making a difference in missions. Here is a quick look at our speakers:
- On December 28, we meet Nicole Selah from Vancouver. Nicole lost the use of her legs in a car accident when she was just 10 years old. She has a powerful message for us about who exactly God can use in his mission.
- On December 29, we welcome Matthew Brima, the general secretary of the student movement in Sierra Leone. Matthew will share about his ministry during the outbreak of Ebola.
- On December 30, Halgonians Samm and Sylvia Musoke will be our guests. They are using every sphere of influence to spread the gospel – from their neighbourhood to presidential palaces – and will help us consider how we can do the same.
- There is a Starbucks in our hotel but the lines are long. Bringing some Via. A travel mug might also be a great option!
- There will be big deals on books from InterVarsity Press. Consider an extra bag for the way home.
- Download the Urbana app from the App Store or Google Play. This is the digital version of the conference handbook!
- Finally, if you were to print this email and bring it with you, just think of all the helpful info you’d have in one place!
For general Urbana logistics and arrival information, go to urbana.org/arrival-housing.
I am so looking forward to our time together! Working with these speakers and the small group leaders makes me absolutely sure that God has great things in store for us!
P.S. Read previous Canadian Student Leadership Track emails here.