There is something troubling about the creation account in Genesis. I am not talking about the six days of creation versus evolutionary science, nor the order of the created elements in Genesis, with the creation of stars coming quite late in the picture (the fourth day). I am troubled by the position God gives to feeble, fallible, frail human beings.
The fact that we crown his creation at the end is one thing, but that we should be positioned almost equal to Him Who is Omnipotent - the radioactive core of power and love and righteousness - is dumbfounding. There are several places in Scripture where this near equality with God is affirmed.
1. We are the only things in all of creation made to be in His image – like Him in some profound way that sets us apart from everything else He made.
2. He charges humans with oversight of creation. God is quite capable of ruling over creation Himself. That he should give us this privilege and responsibility astounds me.
3. God invited man into the creative process and let him name things he made! This naming process is laden with power when you look at how names are understood in Scripture. This is seen today, even in modern Western society, when you consider the special position afforded the kid who gets to name the family pet.
4. Psalm 8 says, “You made us a little lower than ‘elohim’” which can be translated “God” or “heavenly beings.” The entire Psalm expresses awe that though God is so majestic, so utterly above, He positioned you and me above everything but Himself.
5. The broken, fallible and very human church is not described in a parent-child relationship with Jesus, but in a husband-wife relationship. Whether you are complimentarian in your understanding of husband-wife relationships or egalitarian, this should stun us all. We are in a marriage relationship with the one who made the universe.
Psalm 8:3-6 (NLT)
“When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place; what are mortals that you should think of us, mere humans that you should care for us? For you made us only a little lower than God, and you crowned us with glory and honor. You put us in charge of everything you made, giving us authority over all things.”