My name is Suzanne and I belong to a small church that consists primarily of American military stationed and residing in SW Germany. We currently have about nine American families and several local Germans with a heart for serving God. We have a church building and parsonage, but no shepherd to lead us. Please advise us on how to find a missionary to serve in this area. Thank you and God bless!
Suzanne, thanks for your cry for help! I guess the first suggestion I would have is Jesus' words to His disciples: "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field" (Matthew 9:37,38). But I am sure that you and your friends are already bringing your need for a "worker" (shepherd) before Him.
Secondly, I'll give you the names of major agencies working in Germany now. I would suggest that you send them your plea, together with the name of the city where you live, and your phone number, and see if any of them would have someone nearby who could help you at least part-time.
- Greater Europe Mission: (www.gemission.org) - They have over 50 missionaries in Germany.
- Churches of Christ: In Wiesbaden (Carol Harris 0611-205-2753; Bill Weger 06105-277-514) They would be able to tell you about a missionary stationed near where you live who might be able to help you. They list 34 missionaries in Germany.
- Assemblies of God World Missions: (www.agwm.org) They list 41 missionaries in Germany.
- UFM International: (www.ufm.org) They list 20 missionries in Germany.
- Baptist Mid-Missions (www.bmm.org) They list 19 missionaries in Germany.
This assortment should give you something to start on anyhow, depending on your own theological and denominational preferences.
May the Lord guide a shepherd to you! He cares for His sheep.