Jack,I am looking for information on the the importance of training national leaders to take over for the missionaries. Can you give me any suggestions? Thank you!
Emily, almost any book on missions will treat this subject. Quite frankly, one of the best would be the Book of Acts! Here's an assignment for you:
- Read Acts chapter 13 to the end of the book.
- Note how Paul established his churches, and then how he provided leaders for them. Also, his principles of training leaders to carry on his own work.
- The chapter you should study in depth would be 20, when he says farewell to the Ephesian elders.
= Note Paul's leadership qualities.
= Note Paul's activities as a missionary which led to the development of these elders.
= Note Paul's concerns as he prepares to leave them.
= What do you learn about Paul as a missionary training "national leaders?"
= How did Paul avoid paternalism and the development of dependence?
Another key verse is 2 Timothy 2:2, where Paul gives instructions to Timothy.
- What task did he give him?
- How many generations do you see here?
- What character qualities in individuals should Timothy look for as he invested time in training future leaders?
If these thoughts are helpful to you, write me back!